ConTechTrio Podcast Episode 43 – Construction Tech News: DAQRI Helmet Updates, Autodesk University Highlights & Attendee Interviews
Last Friday, the ConTechTrio aired episode 43 of the podcast in which James Benham (@jamesmbenham), Rob McKinney (@conappguru) and Josh Bone (@bim2thebone) discussed the latest construction tech news. Headliners last week included the Atlanta ConTech Roadshow, highlights from Autodesk University 2016, Autodesk’s Forge Platform, DAQRI Smart Helmet’s new features and much more! Attendees from Autodesk University 2016 (@autodesku) also joined to discuss their experiences at the event!
Tech You Should Try:
Microsoft Surface Studio with Surface Dial – The Surface Dial gives the Surface Studio user physical control over their apps, design and more! The dial is sold separately from the Surface Studio and can be purchased for $99.
This Week’s Poll: Does your company employ a Common Data Environment (CDE) to collect, manage & share project information? Visit the ConTechTrio Twitter page and simply answer “Yes” or “No.”
Registration Open for Atlanta ConTech Roadshow
We’re excited to announce that the JBKnowledge ConTech Roadshow will make its debut in Atlanta, Georgia on December 6, 2016! The one day event will be held from 8am to 6pm at the Georgia Tech Learning Center. We will have educational sessions lead by the ConTechTrio on emerging tech, strategies and best practices and if you’re a SmartBid user a special track for training and education on the software. Early bird pricing available now but limited!
Construction Tech News:
Autodesk University 2016 Highlights
The Trio attended Autodesk University 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada last week and highlighted their top moments on the podcast. This is a three-day event in which designers, architects and engineers come together and learn from the best in their industries, share practical tips for getting the most from the BIM/VDC software, compare notes, and socialize with their peers. Some of the Trio’s event highlights featured on the episode included the following:
- Forge Platform – Future of Autodesk
– Autodesk’s Developer Program
– Will shape the future of connected design, engineering and fabrication
- Leica Partners with Autodesk – Reality Capture
– Leica developed the smallest, fastest, easiest to use imaging/laser scanner – BLK360
– Autodesk developed a ReCap 360 Pro app to remotely control the data process of the BLK360
- HP Unveils Z2 Mini Micro Workstation
– Designed specifically for CAD users (CAD certified)
- DAQRI Smart Helmet
– Now wireless/untethered
– Pilot Project with BIM 360 and Mortenson Construction
- Common Data Environment (CDE)
– On the rise in AEC industry
– All project data is kept in one platform for all team members to access at any given time
- “Connected Teams” Concept
– Put the data in the center from the start of a project
– Keep teams up to date in the office in real-time
– Digitizing the construction project site
- Machine Learning
– Computers have an “intuition” – able to look at something and make a decision
– How Autodesk is applying this “intuition”
- BIM 360 Updates
– App now available on Android
– Revit Collaboration
– Modules for RFI
- Autodesk LIVE Features
– Interactive visualization for Revit
– With one click able to transform Revit model into an interactive visualization
Attendees from Autodesk University 2016 Discuss Their Experiences at Event
In the second half of the podcast, attendees from Autodesk University 2016 joined the ConTechTrio to discuss their experiences at the event. Industry professionals interviewed on the episode include the following:
- Joe Williams (@vdcjoe) – Director of Technology at Rogers O’Brien Construction (@rogersobrien)
Joe leads the virtual design and construction group and champions the application of advanced technology for every single aspect of the construction process, from preconstruction through warranty. He has facilitated the use of BIM by all levels of Rogers-O’Brien staff.
- Todd Wynne (@Todd_Wynne) – Construction Technology Manager at Rogers O’Brien (@rogersobrien)
Todd is the Construction Technology Manager for Rogers-O’Brien Construction and is responsible for the implementation of new technologies and developing innovative processes to advance the company’s methods of building
- Taylor Cupp (@taylor_cupp) – Senior Integrated Construction Coordinator at Mortenson Construction (@MAMortensonCo)
Taylor is one of Mortenson’s Senior Integrated Construction Coordinators and is responsible for providing oversight into Mortenson’s use of technology both today and into the future.
- Ricardo Khan (@KhanRicardo) – Director of Integrated Construction at Mortenson Construction (@MAMortensonCo)
Rick is the Director of Integrated Construction at Mortenson and collaborates with each operating group and business service groups to create, document, and share best practices and serves as a technical resource to the integrated construction teams, fostering integration of VDC processes into our everyday business operations.
- Stacy Scopano (@sscopano) – Senior Industry Strategy Manager for Building Construction at Autodesk, Inc. (@autodesk)
Stacy is the Senior industry Strategy Manager for Building Construction at Autodesk, Inc. He is responsible for collaborating with the global construction community to identify, develop, and deliver innovative digital workflows.
- Roy Ashok (@rashok) – Chief Product Officer at DAQRI (@DAQRI)
Roy is the Chief Product Officer at DAQRI. The DAQRI Smart Helmet delivers real-time jobsite data to the wearer, letting them see thermal hot spots, guided instructions, remote assistance and more.
- Nathan Wood (@nathancwood) – Founder and CEO of Spectrum AEC (@SpectrumAEC)
As SpectrumAEC’s founder and chief enabling officer, Nathan helps organizations and project teams successfully adopt change through executive strategy sessions and end user workshops.
- Kristopher Lengieza (@gieza0527) – Director of VDC at Stiles Construction (@stilesbuild)
As the Director of VDC, Kristopher Lengieza interacts with clients, A/E/C, project executives, and superintendents to ensure his company build’s a safer, more economical, faster and higher quality product.
- Nicolas Mangon – Senior Director of AEC Industry & Business Strategy at Autodesk, Inc. (@autodesk)
Nicolas is the Senior Director of the AEC Industry & Business Strategy at Autodesk. Nicolas was previously the Vice President of the AEC Industry Strategy and Marketing at Autdoesk.
Tune into the ConTechTrio podcast again this Friday for Episode 44, featuring Marc Okicich from Seek Thermal! Until then, you can catch up on past episodes of our construction technology podcast and even check out some bonus episodes via the links below!
Follow On Twitter:
James Benham: @jamesmbenham
Rob McKinney: @conappguru
Josh Bone: @bim2thebone